Sangiorgioturismo - History
Porto San Giorgio was the main business center of the whole Fermano district, primarily with those made with Venice. A little group of fishermen made up the first small village, when they established here after the barbarians invasion. In 1164, this village came under the authority of the Fermo’s church, which in 1266 transferred the castle to the municipality of Fermo. In 1267, Lorenzo Tiepolo (who then became doge of Venice) made important changes to the castle, as required by the podesta of Fermo. It was both a fortress protecting against the danger coming from the sea, and a sentinel defending Fermo’s jurisdiction on the coast. In 1362, there were lot of Turkish raids in the Adriatic Sea. That was because Giovanni Visconti d’Oleggio, lord of Fermo, gave the permission to build up a fortress to defend the port. It had regularly crenellated turrets. The bastion, of which a part can be seen nowadays, was built up in parallel to the coast. More walls closed it up near to the sea, which arrived where now the Adriatic Street takes place. In 1900, authorities demolished the three pointed arches, which took place along the two high wall to protect the old port.
In 1741, Fermo’s congregation decided that Porto San Giorgio should have been independent; that is because the Papal Government gave the property of the territory between Tenna and Ete.
Porto San Giorgio became an independent municipality during the Napoleonic period. Pope Pio IX gave the city the actual name in 1857, when he came to visit the Fermano places.